Sunday, January 11, 2015

Summer Tokyo Bay Fishing - Prelude June 9, 2014

June Suzuki Seabass – 2014 Prelude (the Great Wave of Kanagawa)

(An excerpt from my personal journal June, 9, 2014…)

As I travel on the bus from NRT –> YCAT I realize one thing:  I am happy.  Curvaceous smile, and if you would had seen me at that particular moment, it was one to signify that I knew all was right as I made it back here in the land of the rising sun.  I feel great, I feel eerily at home.  Some home, some place I loved prior and truly connected with.  The roads seemed familiar, the surrounding foliage and landscape as well without acknowledgement of any strange out-of-position feelings towards a right sided steering wheel.  Actually, I feel quite comfortable with it. 
I chose the driver’s side window without an invasive curtain for my view.  My flight ticket stub jammed between a squeaky window and its rubber flossing insulator or sealer.  Tokyo bound, Yokohama City Air Terminal is the next destination as the sun peeks through a cloud where they form low to the horizon.  Beams and blue skies seeping through.  5:35am locally. 
~

Tokyo bay is loaded with many species of fish, crustaceans, and various marine life.   I am grateful to the many fish that decided to entertain me and jump on the hook.  A mere eagerness to fish new water with an old friend rewarded me with more than just the targeted Suzuki, Lateolabrax japonicus ()or just Seabass as most locals call it. 
It had been many years since the last time I set foot on the islands of Japan.  Honshu and it’s 34 prefectures and 227,962.59 square kilometers boasts 5450 kilometers of coastline with its highest peak elevation of 3776 meters or 12,388 feet atop what we know as Mount Fuji.
With all the possible bodies of water to fish out of from the Shimokita Peninsula in Oma, Aomori in the northernmost point, to the southern extreme of Kushimoto, Wakayama I was focused in on Kanagawa and the ports of Isogo, Yokohama.  Although my visit was short and I had a wedding to attend, fishing was on my mind. 
As we blast off out of the canal, the sights and sounds of Tokyo bay ignited a fresh indulgence of what the busy port has transformed the sea culture to become.  Concrete towers stacked into the sky fuming the exhaust of whatever was being made in their factories that led way to the open waters strategically populated with ocean liners, tugboats, commercial trawlers, and recreational fishing boats all traversing shipping lanes that spun out to further ports of call.  It’s a harmonic energy that transforms into one of the busiest destinations of trade in the world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment